Friday 21 March 2014

Transmedia

Transmedia is a when a subject is able to be turned into several different media, such as a film, a video game, a web series, a comic, etc. My responsive film is difficult to turn into different media however, I think it could easily make an interesting film or series for either the web or television, web episodes is something that could really work, perhaps in a way where the audience can interact with it, say they post on a website, and the creators listen and add the content in. It would not be one true story but could make a good representation for a whole group of people, rather than just one person’s story. It is easier to see the story as a film rather than anything else as that is what we spent our time doing, and are proud of our result. Showing that it has already been a successful idea as we got lots of positive feedback.

I also think it could be sold as a book, either an autobiography, where I recall my time there, remembering how things were. Or a fictional story where I could create a similar character, different situations and make it an on-going story, this could be displayed in many different mediums and I think could be a story that people care about, one that a lot of people find very emotional. I think words can be just as powerful as visual material, and I think this could make a very deep and emotional book, much in the ways it could also be a graphic novel, not the exact story perhaps, but certainly the subject matter. Also I think my journals could be published, and people could read my story straight from the horse’s mouth, whilst I was in that place.

I’m not sure a video game could be made out of it, as it certainly would be a hard task to make sympathetic in that media. As most video games are action orientated, or at least most contain it, it would be a hard subject to translate, the only way I can think of doing this honestly and emotionally is by doing a point and click game like ‘Gone Home’, in which the player is finding out secrets about their missing younger sister, and where she could be, and the whole game focuses on the narrative and mystery of what is going on, what is she going through and where is she?  The player finds out more and more as the game goes on, and the lust to discover what has happened is what drives the game forward. In this game you could either play as the person suffering from the depression or a concerned family member or friend, both being equally dramatic and emotional. I think this could be a very strong idea in terms of making my story into a video game. It also could be a multiple choice game, where your decisions effect the outcome, I think this links closely with the subject and could be used in a very effective way, and also teach people that what you do or say can have massive effects on people who are feeling vulnerable.

Also, the film could be used as part of an awareness campaign, details would have to be changed to make it more representative for a whole group of people, however it could be made into an advert, or a short film for websites to use in order to raise awareness of the issue. The subject works well to this idea, and I think the film has already acted in this way, having had people watch the film and contact me for advice has assured me that this could be an effective idea.

It could also be used to create a website displaying the film, information about the subject, where to seek help, and also users can interact with each other and talk about what is going on anonymously to help them feel less alone. Much like a social networking site but it would have to be carefully monitored, but with the right organisation I think it could work, people could talk about their experiences, and meet up with other members, helping each other get through their problems, through genuine care and attention from people who understand. This idea could also lead to the idea of perhaps organising a support group.

This being perhaps one of the more difficult subjects to use as transmedia, I think it could still work; many of the ideas I have thought about from my experience could really help some people in these situations. Advertisement could be used conveniently in it’s placing, on music albums that contain lyrics that link closely to the subject.


Thinking back I realise this could be a powerful subject to use in transmedia if it done in the right way. It’s a delicate subject that takes careful consideration at every turn. The slightest wrong move could mean a lot to a viewer who suffers from the same illness, and that could end very badly. I like the idea of the audience having an input via the internet, on things like story-lines, characters, plots, sub-plots and what should happen generally, whichever media its in. I think this is possible it also means that it would not be insulting to anyone suffering as it is a representation of them through their own thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment