Sunday 3 May 2015

Considering Transmedia and Merchandising: Live Action Movie

When thinking about a live action movie of Wild-Life, we decided it best to create character posters/promo art. We did this in Photoshop, layering up many images to anthropomorphises the animals in order to create our characters.

Sawyer (Raccoon)
In this piece I used a raccoons face to start, adding the hat and making sure the ears poked through accurately. I then put them onto a cosplayer dressed as the animated character Flynn Ryder. I then used colour correction and levels to turn the white shirt purple. I then added the sword and Marshal badge and added shadows and lighting to them to make it fit with the image. I then heavily photoshoped a raccoons arm to look more human-esc, and added a tail. all of this was them levelled and colour corrected to fit together nicely, and I went over it all in a variety of brushes to blend the different textures correctly. Lastly I placed him on a suitable backdrop that emphasised the scale of the character, and made it up of several images, before adding the tittle. I feel this piece is my strongest of the these, as the image is huge and it fits together weirdly well, looking both believable and impossible.

Mato (Grizzly)
This piece I think is my weakest. I tried it three separate times, but the first two were simply not working, I could not find decent images of a Grizzly and Native American headdress that were lit in the same direction, and that were large image, the few attempts I made were embarrassingly unconvincing. I therefore opted for a simpler route, by using a close up of a bears face, and hd image of the headdress before placing it on the scenic backdrop. I still feel this is my weakest, not completely because of the unconvincing photoshop work, but also because the expression of the bear is not nearly close to what I feel the character of Mato is.

Umri Wa (Elephant)
This was a fairly simple poster, its only a cropped and levelled image of an African Elephant with colour correction to add the tribal markings. This was all very easy and simple, along with the wood i used to make the headpiece, all it took was the right choice of brush and a drop shadow to make it convincing. I then faded the background to black and it was complete, I think this looks so good partly to the composition and lighting of the piece.

All characters, designs and logo's are Copyright © Callum and Stuart Brown 2014 



No comments:

Post a Comment