Sunday 3 May 2015

Building a Sawyer Figure

With the character being a anthropomorphic Raccoon I started looking at action figures of Raccoons, how my favourite line of figures displays them (Marvel Legends) with them also owning a anthropomorphic Raccoon in the character Rocket Raccoon, I thought this would be an easy make. However after looking at their versions I realised they portrayed the character as brown like colour, unlike my character who is deliberately a grey Raccoon to convey the depression and iconic look of the animal. I quickly decided on this standing Raccoon figure by Papo. This allowed me to use the paws as hands as they were not flat on the ground, and the head would easily be removed as the neck would be cut, leaving the back of the head in tact, as I would need it. 


I next needed a base to put the parts onto. Normally I would use a Marvel Legends base as they are superbly articulated, however as Sawyer Carson (my Raccoon character) is obviously smaller than characters such as the Bear and Gorilla. I was lucky in the fact that recently Marvel have released a very similar line to Marvel Legends, (Marvel Universe) only half the size, being 3.75 inches tall rather than the average 6.5 inch Marvel Legends. This was perfect for me, all I needed was a thin human build. I opted for the Marvel Universe 'Star-Lord' figure. 


I realised early on that the Papo Raccoons feet and tail were too small to use, so I bought this Papo Kangaroo and Lemur. 


I then used a small kitchen knife, scissors and Stanley knife to cut up the pieces and place them back together on the correct body, making sure all the articulation remained un affected by the super glue. 






Next was to make the clothing. I did this is stages, rather than create a full outfit and put it on, I found that last time I did something like this it was easier to build the clothes on and in stages. This makes them tight fitting and neater. I bought a purple shirt to start with, using the seems at the wrist as the cuffs, before hand stitching it and turing it inside out so the thread became hidden, and glueing it in place at the chest and back to keep it tight.



I then made his waistcoat, as the character wears quite smart things I wanted a fancy material, I choose this blue tie, and made a hole in the centre, folding it over him like a poncho. I then stitched it together, folding the rims inside, out of sight. I then used a blue thick thread to create a rim of where his waistcoat would naturally button up. I also used a thin piece of brown leather from a necklace to wrap around his feet connections, creating what would hold spurs onto boots. 





I then created his pants in a similar fashion to the way I made his shirt, leaving room for his tail. I then wanted to find a cream Stetson as it was an important part of Sawyers character design. For this I used the 'Papo Cowboy with lasso' and tok his hat and spurs for my figure.




I then used a bead from a mens bracelet and glued it to his chest, before using it as a basis for his deputy badge. I did this by hole punching silver card, and cutting around the hole to create a silver circle. I then used small silver craft stars at the spurs and badge. I finally added the sword, I created this with a large needle and gold card, using two hole punched sections glued to create the base above the handle.






 After this I added the tail in the space I left room for and he was complete.












No comments:

Post a Comment