Tuesday 20 May 2014

Re-designing iconic characters.


When looking for a responsive brief to undertake, I also found a cool one that asked to re-design a superhero with your own take. Unfortunately this brief was dated two years ago, but as I was a fan I thought I'd take it anyway. I decided to pitch these superheroes into the modern world, taking what they are, who they are, and applying it to modern society. For instance, Captain America, he's a WW2 patriot out of time. A soldier with a drive to always do the right thing, and now mostly works in Urban areas, with a metal circular shield for a weapon. With this I decided to think about who in our world is like that? who risks their lives everyday and fights crime on the streets? I decided with soldiers in the war in Afghanistan and riot police officers. I decided to look at what these uniforms consist of, the body armour involved and what they have to protect them. I also looked at super-soldiers in video games like Army of T.WO and took inspiration from that. I gave him goggles to protect against smoke and sand, I also have him a circular riot shield and they exist, and applied the patriotic colour scheme subtly. I feel my result does reflect what that might look like, but is not better than the movies or new comic designs, sometimes the fantasy, surreal and bold change is what we find so captivating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment