Wednesday 13 November 2013

BAF: Steve Lycett

our talk with Steve Lycett (executive producer of Sumo Digital) was intriguing.  He mostly talked of their first platfomer (Moshi Monsters: Katsuma Unleashed) and how they created the models and environments for the game, they discussed their choice in Gameplay, saying it had to be simple, fun, bright and engaging as it was aimed primarily for 10 year olds, although I admire the process and skill involved to make the game, it is not one that would interest me, Even if i was still 10 I fell they missed plenty of opportunity's, e.g they have a huge amount of very interesting characters and monsters, each being individual, and everyone may have their favourite (I know I would have) unfortunately only one is playable, I find this disappointing, with opportunity to create several characters, each with unique moves and powers I found it a lazy approach to just play as the one character. However what I found most interesting about the talk was there three year project: Sonic all stars racing transformed, each track has an amazing amount of detail in, things you would never notice has been focused on, and the animations as the vehicles transform from car to boat to jet are so smooth its truly beautifully done, so good in fact I may will buy the game myself, it has references to other sonic games and not only revives the franchise but improves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment