Wednesday 13 November 2013

BAF: Brain Horton

Brain Horton (Senior Art Director of Crystal Dynamics) was here to discuss the making and re-imaginig of Lara Croft, he explained how the character had deteriorated over time and had not kept up with modern times and was being viewed as more of a video game sex symbol rather than an actual heroine, the choice they made to reinvent her came early, but it went down a few different paths such as survival horror, where Lara would face monsters, and how here character developed e.g. at one point they considered weather to have her with a child, another where she was accompanied by a orang-utan, all of which were interesting, however what I found most comforting was how they approached the re-design, they firstly picked an angle they liked, then an actress or character whom they might like her to be based on, and then to the costume designs, this I loved because its exactly what I do, I glad I am on the right path as I have been criticised for doing it in the past, and its great to hear that the industry is doing the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment