Monday 23 February 2015

Character research boards

Gustave Sobek was originally the lead villain of the story, ancient in age and from another part of the world. His mysterious origins is unkown to the other characters. For this I needed a animal that looked like it could be from the Jurassic period (as dinosaurs may be introduced in the future), that was frightening in appearance, and preferably from another continent where he could be worshiped as a god. For all of this I though a crocodile was appropriate, with his second name being the same as an ancient Egyptian god, who was drawn having the head of a crocodile. 

Copyright © Callum and Stuart Brown 2014

When I was coming up with the idea for a pirate, I wanted a large, fierce, powerful animal that could go on land and water, was visually appealing and large in body weight as he was going to have a peg leg anyway, so mobility would be limited. When I had the idea to remove most of his limbs I thought I would use a animal that would be hard to anthropomorphises, so this would fix the problem. I decided on a walrus, as it's an iconic animal that everyone knows just from the face, and  fits the criteria I needed. 

Copyright © Callum and Stuart Brown 2014

Sawyer was created as the male romantic lead of the story. Early on, I knew the kind of loveable rouge badass I wanted him to be. Cheeky, smart, brave, charismatic, but small. This character in particular took a long time to get right, but from day one I knew he was going to be a raccoon as this fit the character traits.

Copyright © Callum and Stuart Brown 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment