Tuesday 21 January 2014

Feedback

At the latest crit session, we showed our films and received feedback from the class,  my film was complete besides the end credits sequence. I showed it and had a reaction I was happy with, the class had no criticisms to make despite being more vocal than our usual sessions. My tutor said the lens flares resemble a J.J Abrams movie, which I think means there were alot, which I'm guessing is a bad thing, but I was proud of the fact that I managed to acquire artificial lens flares, and that it resembles a hollywood director I love, however I listened to the advice and made the arc reactor lens flare smaller, I made a version with and without and asked my friends what they thought. They could seem to tell the difference of what I had done but when I pointed it out there was a mixed reaction. I decided to compromise and make it midway between the two versions I showed.

The next piece of advice was to finish/ start the end credits sequence, which I have done and a member of the course said he thinks its the best credits on any of the films this year, which makes me happy. I used gag-reel footage to slide in with the actors names by using the scale and pen tool to fit them all in a few seconds with some cheesy music.

 The last piece of criticism I had a problem with, it was that next time I should use professional actors. Now I only had two actors, one was myself, and the other was Ozzy, who I thought was fantastic personally. I am not an actor and have no-intent of being one, however I had to find people who resembled the characters, which left me and my brother, however he was far to swamped with the amount he had taken on for his own film, so I did it myself (also I had to make the arm prop to fit an arm and I built it on myself as I made it so it left little choice). None of this bothered me, what did is that everyone else was reminded that this is a VFX module and thats what we will be marked on, and a member of the class skipped the whole production stage (which I know me and alot of people slaved over, booking put equipment slugging it up a valley before filming in high winds and freezing tempratures) and used stock footage, and wasn't criticised for it, which is fine by me, I don't mind but I was just frustrated that we weren't being criticised equally, if I had used actual Iron Man film footage with Robert Downey Jr and Sir Ben Kingsley and added my own VFX my acting would not have been a problem and my film would be a much higher quality, however I thought following all stages of film production was necessary. The criticism was true, My acting is not great, but surely if I get called up on that as a let down for my film, someone who skipped that whole stage should also be called on it? I realise the mistake I am making is comparing my film to another classmates, and in fact I should just be focusing on making my film as good as possible. and taking the Crit on board to fix in this final week, as it is not something I can change now I will take on board for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment