Sunday 12 October 2014

'JUICE' Leeds Met Poetry Slam.

Over the summer I was asked to film a live event for the Leeds Met English Literature student's final poetry slam reading 'Juice'. I was happy to oblige and said I would. I booked all the necessary equipment out of the Av suite without much hassle to my surprise. Liam Cooper set up all the camera equipment and settings and taught me about the white balance and focus, and helped whenever it went wrong, I filmed and recorded the sounds and held the boom mike independently and it was all going to plan, until about  half way through the performance the batteries died, I had asked for batteries but I was told I had to buy my own as the college did not loan them out in the sound recorder, I thought this was suspicious as I was sure I used them before, I decided not to argue the matter, knowing i did not know as much about camera work, being a beginner. This I now know is untrue, and I should have been given re-chargeable batteries and a charger, as normal batteries die in an instant in the sound recorder. I had to stop the performance to run out and get more and used the time to empty the SD card onto my Mac. After re-laying this information back to the Av suite I was told  'yeah, thats a shame, that.' This just about finishes my run with the Av suite, and I can safely say that I have had a major problem that has damaged my project every single time I have used it, I would not recommend it to anyone. This has assured me that I will be avoiding film work as much as possible with whats left of my time at Leeds College of Art, as I will not risk my degree on the unpredictability of the Av suite, and have instead decided to focus on comics for my Extended Practice module. A disappointing waste of the £25,500 I have spent attending the course, to now veer off to do a subject they do not offer much support in. After halting the production, embarrassed and trying to salvage what I could, I imported the files over and emptied the memory on the SD cards. I then continued to work until the performance was complete, and edited it together in Premier Pro.






No comments:

Post a Comment