Sunday 12 October 2014

Custom figures - Drax the Destroyer

Last year my COP 2 practical 'Custom Figure Making' I found thoroughly enjoyable, and so decided to keep it going, I started by researching the character, and finding a good one that I think regular toy publishers did a bad job of. So I chose Drax the Destroyer.



His fist incarnation looked bigger, stronger, more intimidating, with alot more purple and more hulk-like in size.  -

I then looked at how the character is currently drawn, and how he looked in the recent movie 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. I feel every interpretation was alot larger and more muscular than the Marvel Legends figure above suggests.





I decided mix all of these designs together into something I liked that incorporated everything I liked about the character. The I started work, I firstly found a decent figure to start with, I chose the House of M Hulk figure, as I knew I could change it easily with little work, for the best result. 


I then started to remove the white tattoo's using a scalpel and stanly knife, I started with the face, then the back, arms and torso, being carful to only carve away the necessary parts, and not go too deep as to keep the this layer of green paint beneath the white.    







I then painted the trousers black using masking tape to cover the areas I didn't want painting and black spray painted the rest. Lastly I used a red sharpie to add his tattoo's and added him to the rest of my collection from last years work. I am very happy with my outcome and intend to keep this practise going. 








No comments:

Post a Comment