Sunday 12 October 2014

Custom Figures - Square Enix, Play Arts, Raylan Givens - Justified.

Towards the end of last year I did a lengthy review of my favourite tv show 'Justified'. As you probably already know I am something of a collector of merchandise, and if I can't get it, I'll make it. With Justified it was no different, I love the show, and as they do not sell and figures and the final season is on the horizon I decided to make my own. However I decided to up my game from Marvel Legends, as this was not super-hero orientated, I thought it would be a good idea to try something new. Firstly I looked into what other people had made.









For those of you who don't know, this is what the character looks like.





I decided to take a different approach, the actor Timothy Olyphant has a very particular stance as you can see from the first image, very western, cowboy, very casual rockstar. I wanted to capture this, so although they should no figures of the character, I wondered if they sold any figures of the actor, maybe in a different role. I found that he starred in the video-game-turned-movie Hitman. 


Although this move was awful, and Olyphant wasn't the best choice (However great he is) This is a role role that should go to the likes of Jason Statham and bruce Willis. However, having said that, they did sell a figure of Hitman from the recent game Hitman:Absolution, that did have a very familiar stance. 


I had the main body base, however I needed a figure from the same line 'Square Enix, Play Arts' that looked like Olyphant in the face, and that preferably had a pistol, a holster, a badge, bare hands, a likeness and a stetson cowboy hat. Despite being such a narrow search, I found what I was looking for, minus the hat. Nathan Drake from the same line. 


I then searched for the hat, I did remember seeing a film recently were the protagonist wore a similar hat, not the same iconic stetson, but similar enough for a 10 inch figure. The Long Ranger. 


Delighted, I then looked into weather they sold a figure of him, and they did, not in the same line, but roughly the same height, enough to take the hat anyway. The 7-inch Neca figure.  


With all the pieces I needed I decided to do a rough mock-up on photoshop before spending over £100 on something that was a risk. I liked the result. 



My next stage was the building, so I bought all the parts from ebay and waited for them to arrive. I then began the process I have successfully achieved so many times. 






I know, I'm like better version of Sid from Toy Story. With a smal paint job to turn the tie black, my work was complete. And I think I did rather well if I do say so myself. 









No comments:

Post a Comment